The month of March mobilizes hundreds of local Meals on Wheels programs across the country to reach out to their communities and build the support that will enable them to serve America’s seniors all year long. The 16th annual March for Meals campaign gives the businesses, organizations, governments and volunteers who contribute so generously in their
communities an opportunity to support homebound seniors in a variety of ways to make America stronger and healthier.
Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada will celebrate March For Meals on March 8, 2018 – as part of this year’s March For Meals national campaign. Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman will personally deliver a week’s worth of meals to a Meals on Wheels senior client to show her support for the community’s aging population.
Senior hunger is significant, and it is growing. As the baby boom generation continues to cross the 60-year age line, the amount of seniors and accordingly those who struggle with hunger is exponentially increasing.
Facts about Meals on Wheels
- CCSN received a $2.3M grant from the Aging and Disability Services Division (ASDS) to serve the existing 2,000 recipients. As a result of the grant, 126 seniors will be removed from the waiting list and added to the daily routes. CCSN also received a $500,000 ADSD grant to replace trucks and kitchen equipment.
- Meals on Wheels trucks travel more than 84,000 miles annually throughout Las Vegas and North Las Vegas
- CCSN has seven trucks and 35 delivery routes, serving 2,126 clients
- Cost per meal operation, based on 2,126 clients, is $5.60 per meal, and includes: food, preparation, delivery, and case management
- Roughly 600 clients on the Las Vegas/North Las Vegas delivery routes have a pet companion, and Meals on Wheels relies on donated pet food to be able to deliver this resource to clients
Help feed a homebound senior today! Click Here.
$5.60 feeds a homebound senor for a day.
$39 provides a homebound senior a week’s worth of meals.
$168 feeds a homebound senior for one month.
A designated annual donation of $2,044 will take one senior off our waiting list and add them to the delivery schedule.