The month of March mobilizes hundreds of local Meals on Wheels programs across the country to reach out to their communities and build the support that will enable them to serve America’s seniors all year long.
“The month of March is a fitting time to not only celebrate the successful history of Meals on Wheels, but also bring us together to support a solution that will strengthen communities into the future,” said Ellie Hollander, President and CEO of Meals on Wheels America. “With 12,000 Americans turning 60 each day, now is the time to invest in these vital programs so that we can provide every senior in need with the nutritious meals, friendly visits and safety checks that will enable them to live healthier and independent in their own homes.”
Facts about Meals on Wheels at Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada
- Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada is the only provider of Meals on Wheels in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas
- 2,188 homebound seniors receive Meals on Wheels through Catholic Charities
- 7 frozen meals are delivered once a week by a caring delivery driver along with milk and a bag of fresh fruit.
- Meals on Wheels drivers perform wellness checks along with delivering nutritious meals. For hundreds of seniors living in isolation, drivers are the only interactions they have.
- Meals on Wheels trucks travel more than 84,000 miles annually throughout Las Vegas and North Las Vegas.
- For many seniors, their pet is their primary companion. Meals on Wheels is able to provide pet food along with weekly meals.
Celebrate March for Meals with Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada by volunteering, sharing, and donating to support Meals on Wheels!
Volunteers are needed 7 days a week to prepare and assemble Meals on Wheels in the St. Vincent Lied Dining Facility. Submit a volunteer application to get started!
- Support Meals on Wheels in Nevada by contacting your local Senator or Assemblyman or Assemblywoman and letting them know how important this program is.
- Share and repost our posts about Meals on Wheels on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Use #MarchforMeals to join the conversation!
- Pet Food – Pets are the primary companion of hundreds of seniors in need! Help keep their best friend fed by making a donation of dry cat or dog food 7 days a week from 6:00am-6:00pm at 1501 Las Vegas Blvd. North, Las Vegas, NV 89101
- $7.00 – This covers the cost of delivery fees, case management, food, and wellness checks for seniors in need
- $49.00 – 1 week of Meals on Wheels
- $210.00 – 1 months of Meals on Wheels
- $2,555 – Covers the coast of Meals on Wheels for one year, helping a senior to remain independent and healthy