Meals on Wheels
What We Do
Catholic Charities has been providing “Meals on Wheels” to older adults in southern Nevada since 1975.
- Catholic Charities delivers meals directly to homebound seniors in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas at no cost to the recipient.
- The Meals on Wheels Program delivers a set of seven nutritionally balanced, frozen meals to approximately 2,450 clients each and every week throughout the year.
- The meals are delivered by Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada delivery drivers.
In addition to delivering meals, our drivers also make weekly check-ins at our recipient’s home. For those who have pet companions we deliver donated pet food, when the need is expressed and available. For some clients, this is the only real outside contact they may have with someone. This service is a lifeline to homebound seniors and we are thankful to all who make this important service possible.
Did You Know:
- Nationally, one in six seniors struggles with hunger. Not only does it create an unparalleled anxiety, it also affects every aspect of senior health. The problem is significant, and it is growing. As the baby boom generation continues to cross the 60-year age line, the amount of seniors and accordingly those who struggle with hunger is exponentially increasing.
Benefits from Meals On Wheels:
- Helps seniors to eat healthier
- Improves their overall health
- Homebound seniors feel more secure
- Allows seniors to live in their own homes independently
- Receive weekly wellness checks by phone
It costs less to provide a senior this service for an entire year than it costs to spend one day in the hospital or one week in a nursing home. Meals On Wheels is funded through grants for approximately 60% of the total meal cost. The remaining cost has to be raised and paid by the Catholic Charities.
We are grateful to our wonderful sponsors of the Meals on Wheels Program:
Department of Health & Human Services – Aging and Disability Services Division
Thomas Spiegel Family Foundation
Mayor Carolyn Goodman
City of Las Vegas
City of North Las Vegas
NV Energy Foundation
MGM Resorts Foundation
Eligibility To Become a Recipient
- Individuals who are age 60 and older.
- Individuals must be homebound due to illness, physical or cognitive impairment, or geographic isolation.
- Individuals must be a year round residents of Las Vegas or North Las Vegas.
Find Out More About This Service
Fill out referral form, call us or have a referral made from outside source, example doctor’s office or social worker.
Programs in Adult Education Services
Sign Up for the Meals on Wheels Program
If you would like to receive meals through our Meals on Wheels Program, please complete the application form below.
Please answer all questions on this referral application to be considered for the Meals On Wheels program.