Catholic Charities and Mayor Goodman Join Forces to Raise Awareness for Meals on Wheels
More than 2,100 Local Seniors Rely on Meals on Wheels
Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada (CCSN) announced today that it will be participating in the 16th annual March for Meals – a month-long, community-by-community celebration of Meal on Wheels and the vulnerable Nevada seniors who rely on the vital service to remain independent at home. CCSN’s celebration will take place on Thursday, March 8, at 1 p.m., as City of Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman will deliver a week’s worth of meals to a Meals on Wheels client.
”Meals on Wheels services are essential, and the need in Las Vegas and North las Vegas is critical and rapidly increasing,” said CCSN President & CEO Deacon Tom Roberts. “We thank Mayor Goodman for her support as we work to keep seniors living independently, healthier at home and feeling more connected to their community as they age.”
Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada has administered Las Vegas and North Las Vegas’ Meals on Wheels programs since 1975.
Local Facts About Meals on Wheels
- CCSN received a $2.3M grant from the Aging and Disability Services Division (ASDS) to serve the existing 2,000 recipients. As a result of the grant, 126 seniors will be removed from the waiting list and added to the daily routes. CCSN also received a $500,000 ADSD grant to replace trucks and kitchen equipment.
- Meals on Wheels trucks travel more than 84,000 miles annually throughout Las Vegas and North Las Vegas
- CCSN has seven trucks and 35 delivery routes, serving 2,126 clients
- Cost per meal operation, based on 2,126 clients, is $5.60 per meal, and includes: food, preparation, delivery, and case management
- Roughly 600 clients on the Las Vegas/North Las Vegas delivery routes have a pet companion, and Meals on Wheels relies on donated pet food to be able to deliver this resource to clients
About Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada
Since 1941, the mission of Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada has been to serve those in need — the most vulnerable — regardless of race, religion or creed. This leading community resource offers help and hope with dignity as it strives to meet the diverse needs of men, women and children in Southern Nevada. Through the generosity of foundations, grants, organizations and individual donors, Catholic Charities operates 18 programs providing support to more than 5,000 people daily and encompassing five core areas: Family Services, Food Services, Senior Services, Immigration and Refugee Services and Homeless and Housing Services. Catholic Charities also operates the largest Meals on Wheels program and Emergency Shelter Services in Southern Nevada. For additional information, please visit CatholicCharities.com.
About Meals on Wheels America
Meals on Wheels America is the oldest and largest national organization supporting the more than 5,000 community-based programs across the country that are dedicated to addressing senior isolation and hunger. This network exists in virtually every community in America and, along with more than two million staff and volunteers, delivers the nutritious meals, friendly visits and safety checks that enable America’s seniors to live nourished lives with independence and dignity. By providing funding, leadership, education, research and advocacy support, Meals on Wheels America empowers its local member programs to strengthen their communities, one senior at a time. For more information, or to find a Meals on Wheels provider near you, visit www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org.